Midlands Credit Compass

The Midlands Credit Compass from MEU helps students who want to switch universities, take a break from their studies or move away from their current place of study.

Midlands Credit Compass

Students who are thinking about switching universities, taking a break from their studies or moving away from their current place of study can now get help from MEU’s Midlands Credit Compass.

MEU partner universities have developed a framework to make the process of transferring academic credit more transparent and to support students who are thinking about leaving university or have left university without completing their studies.

We recognise that students sometimes have to interrupt their studies or move away from their current place of study. The framework allows these students to transfer more easily between our partner universities while maintaining a verified record of achievements.

The Midlands Credit Compass promotes a climate which supports student mobility, progression and lifelong learning and demonstrates our joint commitment to putting students at the heart of the system, supporting student access, choice and flexibility.

The Midlands Credit Compass universities are: Birmingham City, Coventry, De Montfort, Derby, Lincoln, Nottingham Trent, Staffordshire and Wolverhampton.

“The Midlands Credit Compass demonstrates our joint commitment to putting students at the heart of the system, supporting student access, choice and flexibility.”

Professor Kathryn Mitchell DL, Chair of MEU and Vice Chancellor at the University of Derby

What is ‘credit’ and how is it used?

When students successfully complete a module at university they receive a number of credits for that part of their studies. These can be used in full or in part to transfer to a course at a different university, so that students do not have to repeat the same area of study. It is more likely that credit can be used against a similar course, but the Midlands Credit Compass helps students through the application process even if they would like to study something new.

Are you a student thinking of applying?

The Midlands Credit Compass makes it easier to transfer or return to one of our universities.  As part of our service we will:

  • provide you with a named key contact at the university you would like to transfer to
  • respond to your initial enquiry within five working days
  • support you through the application process
  • support your application to transfer for up to five years from the time you left your studies

How do I apply?

If you’re thinking of leaving your current course, please get in touch with your personal tutor in the first instance. They will be able to provide you with guidance and support during this decision-making process and ensure the decision is right for you.

In the event that you are interested in transferring to one of the esteemed universities affiliated with the Midlands Credit Compass, or if you have already discontinued your studies at your current institution, we invite you to access the appropriate link corresponding to the university you wish to apply to. By clicking on the provided link, you will be redirected to the institution’s dedicated application enquiry and landing page. You can apply to as many institutions as you wish.

Please find the relevant links and email contacts below:

These links will facilitate a smooth transition and enable you to explore the application process thoroughly. We encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity and reach out to the respective universities for any additional information or assistance you may require.

Please note that there is no guarantee you’ll be able to switch to another course at a different course provider. Each university reserves the right to make a decision based on its individual regulations and admissions procedure.

Birmingham City University Coventry University University of Derby University of Lincoln Nottingham Trent University University of Wolverhampton


Yes. Your credit is normally valid for up to five years. However, we would like to support you to continue your studies no matter when you left university!  Please send an initial enquiry email to your first choice of university.

You can still send an initial enquiry email to your first choice of university. They will help you to get a copy of your academic credit.

Please contact your university with the information requested in the ‘How do I apply?’ section, stating that you wish to return to study.

If you want to study a completely different subject, it is less likely that you can use the credit you have already earned. You can still apply to transfer, but you may have to go back to the beginning of the first year.

You should still be entitled to funding when you change to the new course, but the rules are very complicated, particularly if the transfer requires you to go back a year or more. The university you wish to apply to will help you understand how your funding will be affected.  They will also be able to advise you about how the transfer will affect any bursary you’ve received from your university.

Yes. Even if you haven’t got any credit to transfer, we would still like to support you in your further studies. However, you may have to undertake the full course if we are unable to accredit any relevant prior learning. Please send an enquiry to your first choice of university.

Yes, you can apply to any other university that you are interested in attending. You may have to pay a small fee (for application through UCAS), and it may take longer to arrange a transfer than through the Midlands Credit Compass. To transfer to a university that is not within the Midlands Credit Compass group, please contact that university directly.